Thursday 17 July 2008

PHONICS - learning the letters' sound...

Recently I am doing study on Phonics. I am learning the letter sounds and it is not easy for me, maybe I am too old eh...

Phonics is about learning the sound of the 26 letters and blending the sounds. There are 40+ sounds in English. It is crucial to know all 40+ sounds well, plus good blending techniques, in order to achieve fluency in reading and writing skill.

The logic behind this sentiment? Simple!! - just remember 'sounds make words, words make sentences, sentences make stories, stories make book'

So, if you want to cultivate independent reading in your kids at young age, it is very useful to teach them the letter sounds.

I am no good at Phonics at all, so I am starting from very basic, and....

I make a promise - I want to learn Phonics, do it well enough so that I can teach Gabriel.

I just realized there is a lot to learn, and more to do to teach my son. First thing now, learn the sounds in the respective groups :

(1) s, a, t, i, p, n
(2) ck, e, h, r, m, d
(3) g, o, u, l, f, b
(4) ai, j, oa, ie, ee, or
(5) z, w, ng, v, short oo, long oo
(6) y, x, ch, sh, voiced th, unvoiced th
(7) qu, ou, oi, ue, er, ar

When I first started this learning, I felt very discouraged and scared. But thanks GOD that I was given good supports and resources. Plus lots of free online lessons!! I get back my motivation, hope to finish the whole course, and looking forward to do it with Gabriel!!


...Gabriel - mummy is learning for myself, and more for you. I hope one day you will master the skill of Phonics, and enjoys early independent reading. Love you!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Good luck..my turn will come too..

Krystal said...

Ryan is taught to read words in school without learning phonics yet. A child can be taught to read words/sentences at a very young age. So, you need not be worried...phonics can come later :)