Thursday 13 September 2007

Ghost

This is a documentary about the tragic of 23 Chinese cockle-pickers who drowned in Morecambe Bay in February 2004. They are illegal immigrant. This documentary highlight the reality of their life - the works they do and the living condition. It gave a clear and honest account of the terrible plight these Chinese immigrants are shouldering. They are burdened with huge debt when they sail painfully to UK - a big sum money the 'traffic-agent' charge for the logistic. This film uses non-actor cast. The people are immigrant themselves and one of the cast, AiQin (one of the lucky survivor), is the real person in this incident. She travelled 6 months from Fujian to UK. It was heart-wrenching to watch her story and her experiences. The cruel separation from her young baby is enough to put you in tear. These immigrants have no social status, no identity, they are a shell the society do not recognise - they are what the documentary named, "Ghost".

We watched this last nite on Channel 4. This is a very powerful and moving documentary. It touch me and Daren very very deep, and put us in extreme sadness for the people and their family. We would like to lend a helping hand but do not know how and where. This film help reflect our life, help remind us we are very blessed to live in a comfortable zone, indeed. So next time when I complain, I must think of people who live far far worst than me. When I see AiQin in the show, I cried. As a mother myself, I can sense her desperation for her son. The amount of stress and fear she carried was enormous. Alone in foreign land in her condition is complete hardship and pain. AiQin make me feel DEEPLY GRATEFUL to able to stay together with my family, in touch with all my love ones.

Daren and me think that this film should be broadcast in China. To let the Chinese know that 'the grass is NOT always greener the other side'. Chinese like to think that the 'west' is easier money but this is not true. The hardship we see in this film tell us it might not worth the cost of leaving family behind, let alone when they risk their life for the extra money?! I hope all 'potential immigrant' can see this film and learn the lesson. For now, I want to hold a minute grief for the 23 Chinese who died in this incident. For their family, we feel extremely sorry, great sympathy for them.

No comments: