Wednesday 19 September 2007

steamer, grill, bread maker

Now that our kitchen spare us extra space, we bought a steamer, a grill and a bread maker. Not all at once but one at a time. These keep us amused for while but Daren's interest died pretty soon on bread maker. For me, they are savior in my cooking. Steamer is specially helpful in preparing meal for my boy. Most importantly, they are healthier choice of cooking. Oh, not forgetting slow cooker too, these are the MUST HAVE for busy(and lazy) cooking-mum like me!

The grilling machine is superb - it is simple-mess-free to do meat, minus the the fat!! The fat melt under the hot plate, dreadful to see the amount of fat dripping down but you can eat more meat feeling guilt-free. We use it for toasting bread too. We made a modified ham & cheese panini, yummy, Gaby like it!! Daren like the grill a lot. His verdict - fantastic, mess free, fuss free!! Now that our oven is not working so the grill come in extremely helpful....and you know it only cost us 10 pound - from Sainsbury.

Thumb up for the steamer. I strongly recommend if you want to cook easy and eat healthy. It is silly of me not getting it much earlier....anyway, now I steam almost everything, every meal. I promise to keep food tasty and creative with steamer but quite a challenge so my wok still a major part in my kitchen!! I just whipped up a delicious lunch this afternoon - cauliflower cheese salad. Nice, yummy and healthy.

Bread maker - our latest toy!! It is very satisfying when you hold the warm bread in your hand, and the smell of the freshly baked bread is very aromatic - it wake you up, jumping out of bed to eat-bread!! The machine is idiot prove - you follow instruction, get the right ingredients. We can do a lot with the machine, yet to explore... At moment I still find bread from outside taste better (I love British bread!!). Will continue to test and trial until I get 100% right taste and texture. Just bought 2 pack of different flour, let see how it make a change. We bought the Panasonic SD-255, it cost 90 pound, expensive but we are sure we get the right one. This is not a must but if you fancy making your own bread, this is good.

Armed with these new gadget, I want to be an amateur chef. I love baking and cooking, but a shame I can't afford much time after I became a mother. I want to re-new my interest. Now only lacking a maid to do all the washing up ;-))

Our next thing to buy? The "Trunki' for Gabriel.....I think he is a very lucky boy, I never got so many things at his age. These days there are a lot of wonderful mothers eh!!!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

what is a trunki??

Emily said...

Trunki is a ride-on suitcase. I never thought of buying until we saw it. Gabriel tried on, he enjoyed very much, and we think it is good - suitcase-cum-toy!! Will give it a try for the coming trip back asia, hopefully it make my airport walking-journey easier?! I met a parent at airport who use Trunki for their kid, good comment. So let's see how it work for us!! Creator of Trunki got fund from one of the dragon (rich investor) at Dradon Den (if you watch the program). This is a successful case