Wednesday 26 September 2007

Messy Eater

For the past many months I was always busy cleaning up mess after every meal, and still, I am!! Not particular happy with food mess but with help of anti-bacterial wipe, I survived. Feeding kids is much easier than kids feeding themselves BUT these 2 issues standing at a very thin line - save trouble, or to encourage independence?!

Look at these pictures....


What do you think?! Food wasted more outside than going in the tummy....so many kids are on 1st option - be fed. I also find this interesting trend - more asian kids are on 1st option than the western kids. Simple rationale behind - the west strongly believe learning through play and play come with mess so mess is good!! Asian, on the other hand, tends to delay exposure to nasty germ in mess?! So many choose to feed to avoid mess plus cleaning.

We took the other route (largely we want our meal-time freedom!!) - Gab feed himself. But still, I find myself busy during meal time - to stop him from playing, throwing, squeezing, spitting food! It can drive any mummy MAD but this is part of learning process, so I have came to term with - 'MESS IS GOOD'!!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Haha. Gaby looks so happy with the mess. Yes, I agree we should let them eat themselve. I remember, when I went back to Sin last year, all my relatives was so shocked that Alex (3)eating by himself. I was taken back as I thought it is just normal! Then I realise, most children only start eating by himself when he is about 5. Then my mum, insist on FEEDING HIM! By the time I come back, I had to go back to the routine again. Well done my dear.. I love that picture of yours.. so cute.. :) xxxxxxx

Emily said...

I had same experience...i guess it is culture different!! I favour the west in this context, but our case is difficult when we go back asia - our kids will be fully pampered and our 'training' all vanished!! BUT this is nothing compare to adjusting the sleep hour....oh, I really dread that!!!Imagine staying up at 3am playing hide & seek with Gab.....Dun mind him a messy eater but if he dun sleep, I go completely bonkers!!!

Emily said...

...and bet, my picture will not be cute, it will be a figure of zombie!!

Sue said...

Wah..you are so patient to let Gaby eat by himself..haha..I am not so hardworking ler..Ian knows how to eat by himself but I will only let him do that when I am back in Penang..haha..saves me cleaning up..lazy mummy..btw..your pix look so fierce..muahahaha

Emily said...

aiyoyo, how to look happy when you need to clean the mess?! Maid job is certainly no fun!! Yes good move, easier to do anything in asia...I am planning to potty- train Gab when I go back in Nov ;-)